Tobacco burned down into the bowl producing the smoke that he bellowed into his mouth as the sweet flavor of Rum-Whiskey Leafs held tight against his taste buds. The nicotine sends a small rush to the head and as his muscles begin to relax, he passes the pipe stating, “Don’t inhale”.
Piano was the first instrument he played yet somehow he naturally succeeded. Much like a young bird being pushed from the nest, he instinctively spread out his hands hand and glided along the keys. He was like a blind man, unable to read the black dots that aligned themselves in an alien language but able to feel the music as it guided him along paths of melody and streets of rhythm. Ebony and Ivory became his braille and everyday he became more and more accustomed to their feel. He had learned a new language: the language of music, which is braille for the ears.
Standing at five feet and eight inches, him and I are among the shortest of my friends. Yet, I believe he is the biggest man I know.
The hotel we stayed at had 5 hot tubs. Quickly becoming bored going to the same one, we decided to get some exercise. Like chipmunks, running from one hole to the next, we sprinted across parking lots as our feet burned from the excess amount of heat transferred during the day. We would dive into our hole of warm water and begin to talk about our next maneuver as we mapped out our path with our adventure filled eyes. Our hearts bubbled and overflowed like the hot tubs we sat as wisdom, knowledge, and gossip flowed out from within.
“Sometimes I wonder too much about what life COULD be like rather than looking at what life IS like”.
I realized today that this guy knows something about everything and almost everything about most things. He has a head full of knowledge and a heart full of wisdom and still won’t say a word about it.
For miles we kept silent. We both stared out our own windows looking up at the night sky trying to count the stars and the constellations as our car curved around the bends and turns of the road. Silence. Only the engine, which hummed a low tone, broke the deafening silence of the night. No words were thought of, chosen, spoken then thought about. Only. Silence. And it was one of the best conversations we have ever had.
1. There will be several days that you daydream about stepping in front of a city bus. Don’t. It will not be beautiful. It will not be brave. It will be selfish. It will be broken. Your mother will cry.
2. Don’t write for him. Write for you. Write for others like you. Write so the girl that thinks about stepping in front of public transportation doesn’t. Don’t be selfish.
3. When you will yourself to sleep and it doesn’t come- get up. It doesn’t matter that it’s 3 am. There will be other 3 am’s. Take a shower. Take two. Wash him out of your hair. Write a poem. Read the same book you’ve read 202 times again. The 203rd time might tell you something different. Don’t stay in bed- you will think about the bus again.
4. Don’t kiss him because he’s broken. Don’t kiss him because his laughter never reaches his eyes. Don’t try and fix him. Fix yourself first. Be selfish. He can’t save you.
5. Date yourself. Take yourself out to eat. Don’t share your popcorn at the movies with anyone. Stroll around an art museum alone. Fall in love with canvases. Fall in love with yourself.
6. Dress up and wear red lipstick and get drunk with your friends. They’re the ones that will pick you up. Don’t kiss him. Or him. Don’t fall asleep on strange couches with strange boys. When his hand slides up your dress walk away. Hit him. Don’t kiss him. He can’t save you.
7. Get another tattoo. Get five more. Get another hole in your ear. Don’t listen to your dad. You will still be able to get a job. Did you really want to be employed by someone like your father? Haven’t you had enough of judgmental old white men anyway? Get fuck you tattooed in tiny letters on your hip.
8. When you feel the yearning for a new city- start over. Take 200 bucks and a three suitcases. Work anywhere that will have you. Meet strange people and forget your name. Call yourself Ruby. No one will know the difference. Remember to call your mother. Don’t be selfish. Come home when you find yourself in the strangers and the small one bedroom apartment.
9. Don’t whisper evil things into your own ear. Other people are going to shout them at you. Be your own hero. Keep a sword on your key ring.
10. Don’t step in front of a city bus. It will not be beautiful. Live. Stay up all night with a boy that promises you everything and means it. Live. See shitty local bands with a friend. Wear a different band’s t-shirt. No one will care. Live. Have a baby girl with tiny fingers and tiny toes someday. Pour love into her until it’s overflowing. Live. Wake up. Staying in bed all day is not poetic.
Do you hear that? It’s me. It’s your life. Wake up."
Reblogged from charmingsavages
REALLY want to make this into a video! So Great
Please help me out with a scholarship! Just view it, like it, share it. Thats all! Thank you!